Sunday, April 27, 2008

Flatulent encounters

I was on my way home from a rock and roll that we had played in Sakae. We found a friendly driver who was willing to stop for us on the narrow crowded streets of Nishiki even when he saw the huge pile of speakers, mic stands and other musical gear that is technically known as stuff. I spend most of my life carrying around stuff. Boxes of books are also known as stuff.

I was in a bit of a cranky humour because I had carried in all the stuff, but it seeemed to work for everyone else but me. My guitar amp was stuck on some crazy reverb effect that couldn't be turned off. Ah, give me the simple type of amp that just has three buttons. In the shop, it seemed like such a good idea to have an amp with 400 effects, but since I only ever want a clean sound they do tend to just get in the way of actually playing properly. I ended up not using my 20kg amp at all, but borrowing someone else's. Similarly, I didn't actually use the beautiful Roland acoustic amp as a monitor. Just like the last show, it keep producing ear-damaging feedback.


Tomo then tried to talk to the driver. Tomo's surname is Shagger, but that's a story for another time.
"Hello".
I didn't know who Tomo was talking to. We had already said hello several hours later. I assumed he was checking that he was still in touch with himself. We had all had a few beers and that seemed like a sensible thing to do.
No, he was talking to the taxi-driver.
"He's ignoring me," said Tomo.
"Hmm, that may be because you're speaking in English," I said. "Maybe you should try Japanese."
"No, he's ignoring me. He's not a nice man."

Of course, he was actually a very nice man. Because when I accidently let out a beer-inspired fart, the driver laughed and turned around to say "ii ne." Nice one - ah yes, I agreed that it was a nice one.

It's so hard to get appreciation for the work that goes into some things, like carrying stuff and producing fine flatulence. He was indeed a nice man.

No comments: