Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Crazy Driving

A few seconds after we got in the cab, a black car - I can never identify the type of car because I really have no interest - anyway, the black car almost took the side off the taxi and then swerved away. Maybe he was drunk or maybe our taxi driver was the one had been errratic. It was all so fast that I hardly noticed, but no-one was hurt. I asked the driver what would happen if he was in an accident. The company has them all insured so there is no personal burden on the driver, but it does involve the hassle of calling the police and presumably at least a few hours of lost working time. I had figured that a near miss like that would cause our driver to take it easy along the night roads of the city. But no fear of that. After being asked about the insurance, he got awfully quiet and started exuding waves of badness - directed at the back seat, if I'm to specify a direction. I hadn't meant any harm, but clearly questioning the insurance setup was equivalent to questioning his sexuality, so he drove like a madman down the small backstreets to our apartment. I didn't leave a tip.

No comments: