Friday, December 28, 2007

Youyu ga nai

A driver of 59 years old wanted to go to Harvard in the United States or to England when he was young. It is true that he looked older than his 59 years, but he was still not an old man.
Mou youyu ga nai.
One of my favourite words - youyu - is back again.
I asked whether it was insufficient youyu for time or for money.

Even if I had the time, I wouldn't have the money.
I suggested hooking up with a London cabby over the Internet and doing an exchange. I'm sure that lots of London cabbies would love a trip to Japan. It would certainly make an interesting clash of cultures but of course might not lead to international peace and understanding.
It's cheapest to travel in February, I said, You can probably get a flight to England for under 100,000 yen. BUt the weather in England is awful. Just horrible damp cold weather. Still, it is cheap.
So how old are we when the youyu drives up. What kills it?
I saw a program on TV a few months ago about old people around the world. In the United States, the hundred year old was lifting weights. In England, the 105 year old going out to lunch every day by herself. In Okinawa, the 110 year old was running a shop. In Florida, the 115 year old was tired - oh so tired. It seemed that her youyu had finally run out. That seemed appropriate and it was merely a cruel spectacle to see the surrounding people wheel her out for the celebration of yet another birthday for the oldest person in the world.

But what kills this man's youyu, at an age about half of that woman in Florida? Is it our spouses, our children, our jobs? Should it be dead at 59? Was my small tip towards the driver's 'England fund' ever going to be able to waken it even slightly - to make a dream turn over in its sleep?

No comments: